Thursday, July 5, 2018

Bicycling Bennies


The local library does health screenings once a month. You can get your blood pressure and glucose tested for free and your total cholesterol number for $5.00. I was curious as to what my numbers were going to be after the bike trip, what with the four days of heavy exertion and the change in diet. Blood pressure was the winner for the morning at 112/68 and the total cholesterol was an excellent 122. The nurse was very surprised by both numbers. I was a little surprised by the cholesterol number myself after some of what I'd eaten both before and during the trip. I weighed yesterday morning and I'm only a pound away from my weight goal that I wanted to hit by Saturday. I should revise it downwards another five pounds judging by my waistline, but I'm now only ten pounds over what I was when I graduated high school and when I got married. Lot to be said for proper diet and exercise. It takes some work but you don't have to go to extremes like riding the Cowboy Trail. Just keep an eye on your waistline, blood pressure and resting pulse rate and then adjust your caloric intake and exercise routine accordingly. Yeah right - easier said than done, I know.

There's a bicycle race locally at the end of the month. Now that the legs are in pretty good shape, I'm considering entering it. My cardio could be a bit better but I've got a good three weeks to train. I've done the race a couple of times in the past and it's a fun event. I think my saddle pal is good for it. I should see her at the gym this week and see what she wants to do. She's getting married soon and wants to lose a couple of pounds yet so she'll probably go for a bit of biking.

A couple of unrelated things:

They're working on the highway by me, so the road that goes by my house has had a lot of traffic of late. I was down by the mailbox and saw a Tesla go by. Might be the first for the old county road. Those are nice looking cars.

While stopping in one of the small towns in Nebraska recently, we went to a gas station/mini-mart and there was a sign on the door that credit cards weren't accepted. I always carry a few bucks in my shoe wallet along with my ID and a couple in my first aid kit just to be on the safe side. Lots of folks no longer carry cash at all. Might want to rethink that and keep a few dollars in the car or on your bike.

Hope you all had a good Independence Day. I didn't do much due to the heat and the threat of rain but I did pick off a few of the household chores on the list and made a serious dent in the pile of mail and magazines. It's supposed to be hot again today but cool down a bit after that. Need to get the sidewalk repaired and the yard reseeded from the well job as well as getting something done out in the shop. I've got a bit of fire in the belly after looking at all the cool stuff out in Nebraska.

No comments: