Friday, July 6, 2018

Bike Training

The old Raleigh came equipped with Suntour Power Shifters. They worked really well until the spring broke inside the one for the rear derailleur while on tour. They've got a ratchet mechanism inside that makes them work better than pure friction shifters. I've got Campy friction shifters on my other Raleigh and they work well enough but I like the feel of these. I ordered a used set off of eBay that came in yesterday I replaced the broken one after dinner and took it for a short test ride to run it through the gears. Seems to be good as new. Waiting on the handlebar tape now and I should be back up to snuff.

I took the other Raleigh out for a spin yesterday morning to do some "speed" work. I was planning on going back out after going to the gym in the evening but the gym was cancelled and we had storms rolling through. I was lucky just to get the test ride in on the other bike. I doubt seriously that I'll be able to go very fast in the upcoming race but that's just fine by me. If nothing else it'll help get me in shape for the stress test I've got coming up this fall.

The weather is supposed to be decent the next few days and then back in the 90's. I need to start getting out earlier in the morning. After doing my bike ride yesterday morning I picked a big bowlful of red raspberries. The sweat was pouring off me by the time I was done. I need to pick some gooseberries today or tomorrow. Time for a pie. You can tell I take my training seriously.

No comments: