Tuesday, July 3, 2018

End of The Trail







We finished up on the trail about noon on Friday and then headed for Lincoln. After checking into the hotel we went out for a burger. The hotel clerk recommended Honest Abe's so off we went. They had a veggie burger but I broke training and went for the Classic. Might be the first time I've had bacon since I had the heart attack six years ago. It's tough to be a vegan when traveling. More so if you don't want to be a pain in the ass with the group you're traveling with. Since my concern is mainly my heart health rather than a philosophical issue, a little meat now and again shouldn't kill me. It was a good burger.

Saturday morning we headed to Speedway Motors and the American Museum of Speed. We checked out the retail store first. Much to our surprise, if you buy anything at all in the store you can use your receipt to get two free entries to the museum. Hard to beat that. The counter-men were both cool with us gawking while we waited for the museum to open. I was going to buy a couple sets of stickers and the guy grabbed a pair of them from under the counter and just tossed them my way. Service. Not at all like the Geek Squad.

The museum is out of this world. If you're any type of gearhead at all, this place is a definite must see. We hustled through it at a pretty good clip so we could get home at a decent hour, but if you go, I'd plan on about four hours if you really want to soak it all in. There's cars of all types, engines, pedal cars, guitars, lunch boxes, model/miniature cars, record albums, and who knows what all. Everything on display is in good shape and if you have questions, there are knowledgeable people around to answer your questions.

Photos from the top:

1. Really cool trailer to haul a midget racer around in. If I ever build a utility trailer, I think it'll be    something like this one.

2. A Super Modified. I've never seen these things run except on television. Cuzzin Ricky and I should pursue a race in the future. These things boogie.

3. A Frank Kurtis sports car. I've never seen one of these in the flesh before even though I've seen quite a few Kurtis midgets and champ cars. I've got a book on Kurtis and the sports and custom cars he did were mentioned but it's nice to have actually seen one.

4. Hedy Lamarr's '58 Cadillac. Hedy was something. In addition to being beautiful and a talented actress, she was pretty damn smart coming up with a electronic method used to prevent the bad guys from jamming the radio signals guiding the torpedoes during WWII. One of the best looking years for Cadillac in my book. This one is a primo example.

5. E.J. Potter's Chevy powered drag bike. They didn't call him the Michigan Madman for nothing. Rev it up, kick it off the stand and away he'd go. No transmission or clutch. Just wheelspin.

6. Aluminum body in the white. That's how they all used to be before they started making things out of fiberglass. Beautiful craftsmanship. The museum is chock full of beautiful craftsmanship. Lots of engines on display with a huge variety of things people came up with to make more horsepower or reliability.

By all accounts the Nebraska trip was a definite success. I left the trail wondering where we can go next. The one guy had to buy quite a bit of equipment to make the trek, so he'll want to do another trip or two. Might be another trip in my future. I got the seat adjuster on my saddle figured out - the threads on the adjuster bolt were boogered up where they go through the seat bracket which is why I couldn't get the adjuster nut to tighten things up on the trail. Probably best that I quit trying rather than doing something I would have regretted, like twisting the bolt in half. After filing the threads and putting some anti-seize on the bolt, I took up some of the slack and the seat is much better now. I'll ride it around a bit and then give it a couple of more turns if need be. As soon as the new shifter comes in I'll swap that out and rewrap the handle bars and I should be ready for the next trip.

No comments: