Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Wrong Way Corrigan




Went to the county fair yesterday - not much to see if you go early in the day but that's why I usually go early in the day. The chickens and the rabbits and all the rest of the animals are all there but the commercial buildings and the rest of it is pretty much buttoned down until the evening. I checked out the 4H building, the photography displays, all the animal barns and the Retired Iron Club display of old tractors and farm equipment. The blacksmith shop where I used to work was closed up, however. The club this year had some old farm trucks on display along with the tractors. 

The old Ford in the top photo is exactly the type of rig I'd like to have. The Dodge in the middle photo looks like it would be more at home in a lumber camp than on a farm out here on the prairie, but it's pretty cool, though. The bottom photo is a Minneapolis Moline that runs on LPG. Minneapolis Molines are something of a rarity around this neck of the woods but especially one that's powered by propane rather than gasoline. This one is owned by a former student of mine. He also has a Farmall M that was on display. I saw his son driving the M in the tractor parade a couple of years ago but didn't realize he had the Moline. 

While listening to the local radio station on the ride home I heard that it was Wrong Way Corrigan Day. Interesting story about how he got his name as well as what his life was all about at the link. I like his quote saying he never had any aims, that's why he never got anywhere. I would think flying solo across the Atlantic Ocean to Ireland in 1938 was going somewhere.

I ordered a couple of parts for the Rickati project - gas cap, throttle, cable and grips. I'm going to need a battery and a kill switch for sure. I'm not sure what those little Ducatis used for a voltage regulator. I do have a tail light on the old Preston Petty rear fender but I don't think it would be worth it to hook it up. The bike's supposed to be built as a vintage trials bike, so no lights required. I've got an ignition coil mounted up under the gas tank and I think I've got a new plug wire I can use. The front brake is hooked up and operational and I've got a new clutch cable already. Looks like I need to line up the rear wheel and make some spacers for the axle and weld up the foot peg mounts but that's basically it. I'm going to work on it while I'm fiddling with the 900. I can leapfrog from one job to another so if I need to wait on parts or something, I can keep going on at least one of them. Maybe sneak in a little work on the Sprint or the VW as well.

No comments: