Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Life is Precious



I'm helping move my aunt into an assisted living facility this morning. The old bird is 91 and, as unfortunate as it is, she should not be living on her own any more. It's a small apartment she'll be going into, so she has to get rid of much of her stuff. I'm sure that has to be tough. Knowing that the next move will be the cemetery can't be too easy either, for her, her children, grandchildren and me, also.

She's my dad's sister and the last of that generation on my dad's side of the family. I've got one aunt left on my mom's side. Those of my generation are all closing in on 70 or have already hit it. When you get to our age you realize how precious life is and want to make the most of whatever time you have left. And then you get some crazy whack-a-doodles shooting people because they can't deal with life's problems. We didn't have too much of this sort of thing in the old days because the crazies would have been in an institution. I doubt seriously that taking guns away from sane, law abiding citizens is going to be the answer, or at least an answer that will be effective but once again that's the default position of most of the politicians. The killing needs to stop whether it's a mass shooting or a typical weekend in any number of large cities. Let's hope that a workable solution is found soon.    

No comments: