Saturday, August 31, 2019

Working Off The List



They've been keeping me pretty busy at work. I've got a list of things to do but it seems like I've always got something else that comes up before I can make much progress on the list. The blower in the photo being a prime example. I did a little welding repair on a couple of spots and then cleaned it up and painted it. A couple of rattle cans of Krylon and it looks good as new. I should have taken a before picture. There's a deflector that goes on each side of the discharge chutes that need to be put back on yet after I straighten one of them out. The shop doesn't have a decent vise, so I brought the part home to work on.


I went to Harbor Freight the other day and picked up a couple of tools for work, a little pancake air compressor that was super cheap with the coupon, and some glass bead. Before I put the glass bead in the blasting cabinet I'm thinking of modifying the bottom of the cabinet to make the sump deeper. The pick-up tube doesn't go to the bottom of the sump due to the angle of the bottom sheet metal and you have to stop blasting to rake the blasting media over the end of the pick-up tube way more than should be necessary. As you can see from the photo, the stand I made for it has room underneath the cabinet to add some extra depth to the sump. Since it's a bench top model, the sump depth is pretty shallow to allow it to sit flat on a bench. It shouldn't take too much work to modify it. While I'm at it I'll add a bigger outlet to make it easier to clean it out. The present clean out comes out the side rather than the bottom and it's not very large in diameter. I'm thinking maybe weld in an 1-1/2" pipe nipple and that should do it just fine.

I replaced the protective film on the window the other night and I need to replace one of the halogen bulbs on one of the lights I installed after buying the thing 6-7 years ago. For something I don't use too often, seems like I've spent a lot of time getting it set up and maintaining it. Modifying the sump should make it a lot more user friendly, however.

No comments: