Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Eggs



But no longer - finally!


The two smaller eggs are from the new chickens or chicken. The other one is from our Rhode Island Red for a comparison. That one would be classed as an X-large or Jumbo. The new girls should be putting out some larger ones after they're in production for a while. I was thinking they should've been kicking out eggs before now but we normally have more than we can use with just the one hen producing, so we haven't had to buy eggs. Plus my brother sent several dozen home with me when I went out to Kansas to pick up the new pullets. Of course I've been buying feed for the freeloading slackers, but they're more pets than anything else - cheaper than a horse, that's for sure. And when the SHTF, we'll be able to eat eggs everyday to keep us going, cholesterol be damned.

No comments: