Monday, December 30, 2019

Finishing The Year Strong



The weather has been unseasonably warm of late - no complaints from here. I decided to take advantage of the warm temps and do a couple little jobs in the woodshop yesterday since it's not heated. In the photo is a cover I made for the new propane tank. The regulator that goes into the tank is supposed to be protected from the elements, so this should do it. I just use a small plastic bucket to cover the one for the shop but it doesn't have the protective flanges around the valve like the new one does. I made up a quick hammer form and used a piece of aluminum sheet I had out in the barn. After the photo was taken I welded up the slits on the edges and planished it a bit so the finished product looks a little bit better than in the photo.


I bought the larger mallet in the photo a while back from Garrett Wade and used it on the project above. They have three sizes listed in their catalog. I was real happy with the big one so I ordered myself the middle sized one when I ordered a couple of Christmas presents. If they still have them next time I order something from them, I'll get the smallest size as well. Wooden mallets are just the ticket for hammering on both woodworking projects and aluminum panel work. I think I'll round one end of the smaller of the two for doing shot bag work. Should be a handy size.

The Missus got me a 6" x 6" individual day calendar for Christmas but it was a refill rather than a whole new thing so there was no stand or wall bracket. I made up a quickie stand to hold the sheets out of a 1x6 while I was in the woodshop. Nothing fancy but it'll do the trick.

After working in the woodshop I finished welding the hoop for the bike carrier out in the shop. The humidity was about 100% so I didn't try painting it. In fact, most every thing had a light coating of moisture on it. I'll plan on getting it painted sometime soon depending on the weather.

I repaired a bicycle wheel the other night down in the basement shop. A former student and boxer of mine needed the wheel repaired for his or someone in his family's bike. It's the same size as the one on my rail bike, so I swapped it out and got the broken spokes replaced and started truing the wheel. It's about 95% done. I'll grease the bearings, polish it up with some steel wool and then mount a new tire on it after giving it a final truing.

Supposed to be above freezing most of the upcoming week, so I should be able to get some more done in the shop. I'm going to Harbor Freight today to pick up a few things and hit a couple of other stops along the way. Hoping to still get out in the shop later though.

No comments: