Sunday, December 1, 2019

5K Walk


I did the 5k race walk yesterday & finished as the 2nd place male walker. It was a pretty thin field of male walkers and I thought I had seen all of the ones in front of me. As it ends up, I would have needed binoculars to see the guy who finished first, he was so far out ahead. The female winner was the lady I figured would win it. I looked up her time later in the day and a few years back I would have been able to beat her easily. Now? Not so much. Her time was about three minutes per mile quicker than mine. However, I've put a few miles in this year but never got into the "silly race walking" mode. I think I could beat her if I trained in earnest. The guy who came in first? His time was about my best ever and I doubt I'll ever see that again.

My running buddy paced me and she wants to continue with the weekly run/walk for the boxers as long as the weather allows. I've been walking a minimum of three miles every week. I might be able to get my groove back on if I started adding some speed work every week. At this stage of my life I don't need to be a race walker certainly, but I do need a bit of incentive to keep in shape. I'm also still kicking around the idea of the 50 Mile Challenge for next year.

2 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

I've been walking and jogging more as a covenant thing between myself and a few close friends that all agree we are a lil too sedentary. Active getting work done, but not moving as much as we should.
Started a month ago, and been doing a three mile loop most every day, except for the past four days which the holiday has interfered with. And my diet those past four days has not been a positive contribution, either :-)
Was surprised how alien jogging had become. A lil frightening, actually. But seeing results.

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and the best for the Christmas season.

Rich in Ky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

My running buddy says exercise is the fountain of youth. As I age I'm starting to see quite a bit of difference between myself and many of my contemporaries who don't exercise as far as balance, strength and mobility are concerned. The hardest thing for me is finding the motivation to continue exercising. I no longer run and I don't enjoy "just walking" on a daily basis. I need a little more stimulus to get me out the door. Fortunately I have a couple of people I cycle and train with to keep me honest. Sounds like you've got a group that will do the same for you - it really makes a difference. And as you noted, you've only been doing it a month but are seeing results. You keep it up and the benefits just continue to accrue. Stay with it!

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes and likewise the best to you and yours for the Christmas season.