Friday, December 13, 2019

Plasma Cutter



New plasma cutter came yesterday. Looks like it has a different plug than my welder so I'll have to take care of that before I can test drive it. I think the new plug is also the same as on Surly's welder he bought. I put in a new outlet and he'll be able to bring his welder down and get some lessons on his machine so he can upgrade his TIG and stick skills.

Didn't get anything done in the shop yesterday but I got the dog to the groomer. The trip is a half hour each way so an hour up and back to drop him off and then an hour picking him back up again. Always blows a pretty big hole in the morning.

I wrote a letter of recommendation for one of my former students from the college which necessitated a trip to the post office. I also had a conversation with a counselor from the high school. One of my former students is looking to switch positions at his place of employment and is looking for some documentation of his welding experience. He graduated the year I had my heart attack, so I wasn't able to finish out the school year and write up the certificates. Since I didn't go back to work and it's been seven years, I wasn't sure what she would come up with, but she found his task list, bless her heart. This young man was also getting dual credit with the community college, so the next step will be to help him get a copy of his transcript. Shop teachers might not grade a lot of papers but we do a lot of work helping students become gainfully employed. It is after all vocational education.

Cut up a small tree that blew down a while back - a Lombardy Poplar that was already dead. I planted six of them and they all died when they got to about 7" in diameter. These were supposed to be the hot ticket item for a renewable source of firewood. Not so much - at least for me.

Shoveled out a bit of chicken poop and put new straw in the nesting boxes and on the floor of the coop.

All in all a pretty decent day. The weather was good for a bit of lumberjacking, running around and chores. Looks like it's going to be typical winter weather coming up next week. I'll see what I need for the electrical hookup for the plasma and make that a top priority next week along with the motorcycle carrier. The hardware for that job should be here Monday for whatever that's worth.

Friday the 13th today - be careful out there.

No comments: