Monday, February 10, 2020

Carrier's Finished




Motorcycle carrier is ready to go. I'll check the weather and get it under the truck one of these days soon. Make sure the lights work, load the bike up and take it for a shake-down cruise. If everything looks good I'll call the shop in Indy and make an appointment to take it down there. The bike shop is only a couple of blocks from the Speedway Museum and the museum has an exhibit going on now of vehicles from the "basement collection" - things that aren't normally on display. I can gather up the bike and Cuzzin Ricky, drop the bike off, and he and I can check out the museum and get us a bite to eat while the service is being done on the bike and then head back home. It'd be nice if the dealership had one of the new Enfield twins to check out while I'm down there.

Now that the carrier is done, I'm going to spend a little time cleaning the shop - it's pretty cluttered as seen in the top photo. Now that I've got the metal horses, I think I'll toss the wooden ones on the burn pile. The one's about ready to fall apart and I definitely need some more room.


The welding supplies I ordered came yesterday. I'm still not use to getting deliveries on a Sunday. I got a 1# package of silicon bronze rod for repairing the Ducati gas tank for my buddy Bob, a 1# package of 308 stainless to keep on hand due to the type of work I've been doing for my side hustle, and some TIG tungstens. I ordered a sample pack of some new type of tungsten electrodes. The 2% thoriated I've been using for years is radioactive. It doesn't pose much of a health threat. You don't want to be inhaling the dust from grinding it but this new stuff is supposed to be safer and give you better results as well. Surly is putting together a TIG outfit, so I'll give him a couple of sticks when he's ready.

I've got a couple of jobs for work to knock out before I go back in this week. Nothing too tough but needs to be done. I want to get back on some of my motorcycle work but  the side hustle's been paying for parts, materials and tools. I've got a weekly budget for that stuff and I hope to have enough parts and material stockpiled to keep me going for quite a while after I quit that gig in September. I'll have to be a bit more frugal after that. With the coronavirus going on, I might just quarantine myself and hole up in the shop. Need to do that anyway if I'm ever going to get all these projects finished.

No comments: