Friday, February 14, 2020

Reader's Digest and Old Movies


When you get to be an old guy you start receiving offers for magazines for super low prices. I've subscribed to a couple but I want to cut back on the magazines and start reading more books again - maybe not the 50 per year I did for a while but there's no reason I couldn't do one every couple of weeks if I wasn't reading magazines in much of my free time.

I was surprised to get a sample Reader's Digest in the mail the other day. I didn't know they were even still in business. My mother used to get the magazine and the condensed books when I was living at home many years ago. Seemed like every doctor's office used to have an old copy in the waiting room as well. I read through the sample issue and it was pretty much as I remembered it and I could subscribe for $15.00 for two years. I'm going to take a pass but I did like the following quote I saw from T Boone Pickens:

"Work eight hours and sleep eight hours, and make sure they are not the same eight hours."


Lili Damita. Saw her in an old movie the other day. I need to get busy and mix up some fresh chemicals to both develop a couple rolls of B&W film and print a couple of negatives from a roll I shot last year. I've got an idea for making myself a camera I'd like to pursue one of these days as well. I don't need another project, or another camera as far as that goes, but that's never stopped me from starting a project in the past.




Seems like a good time to throw in some John Prine. It'd be nice if all the wars ended but that'll never happen. Might actually see a second civil war in my time the way things are going. 



What is so funny about peace, love and understanding?

No comments: