Sunday, February 23, 2020

Transition Piece



I'm making a transition piece to fit on a big blower. It's 12" in diameter and the boss wants to change it from round to rectangular to make the stream more "directional" for lack of a better word. I used to have a computer program for doing these transition pieces. Pick your shape, feed in the dimensions and it would spit out the dimensions for the layout or you could print out a full size pattern if you had a printer or plotter large enough. Since I no longer have that software program, I had to do it the old fashioned way. Took me a few minutes to remember how to lay it out to get my true length lines but I tried the half-pattern on the blower and it fit nicely. The little calculator in the photo is the one I carry in my lunch bucket. I rarely need to use any trig functions these days, so the simple one I carry all the time is adequate. More importantly, it's handy.

I'm going to make the final product from 16 gauge sheet. I'll overlap the two halves and spot weld the seams or plug weld them with the MIG. I'm planning on fastening the transition piece to the blower with a strip of 1/8" x 1-1/2" rolled into a circle. Depending on what else is on the agenda this week, might be able to get started on this one. I never know what I'll be doing when I show up at work one day to the next. Keeps it interesting.

No comments: