Monday, March 9, 2020

Anniversary Dates



Friday was my one year anniversary at the part-time gig I'm working. No cake or celebration but I was thinking about my Ireland trip I took last year and decided to look in the archives here and stumbled across the date of my start right after returning from Ireland.

I've got my 49th wedding anniversary coming up this week. That's something worth celebrating. And in typical old couple fashion, we're both going to the dentist that day. We will at least go out to eat later, I imagine. Things definitely are not what they used to be but in many ways they've gotten better. No regrets, that's for sure.

I posted the Fureys last year after returning from Ireland. I've always liked that song and they do a nice version. I wouldn't mind returning to Ireland. I was thinking seriously about going to Scotland but I think this year the prudent thing would be to just stay home and avoid any and all crowds.



I've got plenty to keep me busy around here after all. I welded up a points cover for the 900. I've got a good one on the bike and I think I've got a decent spare besides. I'd like to make a finned cover to match the clutch cover on that side of the bike, similar to the one I made for the Sprint not too long ago. Basically, just weld a plate to the top of the existing cover and then mill the slots for the fins with a ball end mill. The old Superbike racers shortened up the points cover to keep it from dragging when cornering. First off, I can't see me ever trying to lean the bike over that far. Don't know if I ever was brave enough for that. I damn sure ain't going to try it at my age now - things take too long to heal. The reality of it is, I'm probably going to have the bike connected to the sidecar most of the time so cornering clearance won't be a concern if the points cover sticks out a bit. Just looking for the cool factor.

The bottom photo shows the beginning of the cowl/cockpit for the track racer. I need to pick up some more material to finish it but it's a start. It's sitting in the position on the frame that it calls for in the plans. There's still more to add to the rear of the frame yet but I should have plenty of room for the Slant-six and a transmission up front without crowding my big feet. I'll see about finishing up the remaining frame pieces while I'm shopping for a trans. Once I've got that, fab up some motor mounts and a cross member for the trans and then hang some suspension on it. While there's no hurry on this project, I want to get the big ticket items I'll need while I'm still working. Labor Day deadline as it now stands.

No comments: