Sunday, March 8, 2020

Indy Trip Part 2






A few more pics from the Speedway Museum. I have no idea what the value of the inventory there is but it has to be a huge number. Most of the cars are probably in better shape than when they were raced, at least cosmetically. I don't know if the older cars would have had all that chrome on them originally but they wear it well.

When we first came in on Thursday we were only in the door for a couple of seconds before Cuzzin Ricky was grabbing my arm and pointing out a penny squashing machine. We've started collecting them on our trips, so I dug some change out of my pocket and started the gears turning. As luck would have it, my penny didn't drop. There was a guy behind us who I thought was waiting to squash his own penny but when he saw mine didn't drop, he pulled the machine away from the wall, unlocked it and gave me my penny. How 'bout that for luck? He also told us about a web site for collectors of these things - pennycollector.com. They have a listing of all the machines in the various states. There are several in Indiana here. Rick and I will have to scout locations before we travel in the future. There is one at Purdue. I'll have to contact my buddy Kevin and have him get me one from there.

Nice day yesterday. I got out and did a little walking with my running buddy and then got out into the shop for a bit. I mixed up some fresh chemicals for B&W photo work, so I want to shoot some more before the chemicals go bad. While in the shop I converted a roll of 120 film to 620 to shoot with one of my old folding cameras. I made a mandrel for doing this years ago. If you type in 620 film in the search box a couple of posts will come up, both explaining the process and displaying a photo of the Kodak Vollenda I'll be using next time I go out. I also did a bit of layout work for the track racer project. I'm planning on getting out in the shop again today. Maybe get out on the bicycle or walk a little more. Should be around 60 this afternoon.

2 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

I'll get you a penny from Purdue :-)

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Get me the penny and I'll buy you breakfast. It's been too long since we've met up.