Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Monday, Monday


Monday's my day of certain chores. Besides cleaning the toilet in the back bath, it's also the day I water my orchid. I've had this thing for several years. I received it as a gift and it was blooming when I got it but hasn't bloomed since. It's added several leaves, so it's been prospering but it's finally going to bloom again. The first flower should be popping out in a few days and if it's like the last time, it will bloom for quite a while.


Since the weather wasn't too bad out, I went for a bike ride and then did some work in the garden. I cleared out around the asparagus and the rhubarb. No sign of the asparagus yet but the rhubarb is sprouting. It won't be too long and I'll be able to make some rhubarb bread. That and the persimmon bread in the fall are about the only baking I do, unless you count throwing a frozen pizza in the oven.

While I was out I noticed a fresh ground hog dig under my shop. Will it never end? There are two burrows in the raspberries along the edge of the building. It's all sand out there so it was pretty easy digging for the little devil. I shoveled sand back in the holes before I called it a day. I'll see what they look like this morning and decide my plan of action. I don't want my shop floor undermined.


I did get a bit more done on the track racer. I made the spreaders for the frame rails to hold things in alignment. I bolted a piece of angle to each rail and then welded a piece of square tubing to them, making sure they were the right distance apart and square to the rails. I also marked a center point on the tube. The photo shows the one at the rear of the frame, there's an identical one at the front.

My steel order is scheduled to arrive today. I can make the piece to finish up the cab section and then I can work on the front end. I don't want to weld the front nose on until I get it closed in and even then, I want to be able to knock it all down for storage. It looks like the lockdown will be going on for at least another month. If I get the front spring mount, axle and wishbones taken care of, I'll have to put this on pause until I can find myself a transmission. There's a junkyard not too far away. I might call them and see if they have something like I'm looking for.

I got a text message from my boss last evening. He included a photo of a repair on one of the pieces of equipment that used one of the repair parts I designed and had made up in stock. They're gonna miss me when I'm gone. Actually, even though I've been getting a lot done around the shack, I almost miss not going in to work. But I also miss not being able to go to the races or travel. I hear Kentucky is really pretty this time of year. Actually, Cuzzin Ricky and I were going to be headed south for a race in a couple of weeks. However, we're all in this together, so no B&W from here.

Stay safe, stay at home if you can, and wash your hands.


No comments: