Friday, November 27, 2020

Bucks

 I did a little more on the buck for the radiator shell. I made the ribs for the lower part and cut a couple of filler pieces for the top. I needed to add a couple of glue blocks for the center rib, so I got those made and installed. I also came across a post on Facebook on a metalshaper group I belong to that led me to a nice video on the various types of bucks. The website is here. On the video he discusses wooden bucks like I'm building as well as a couple different types of metal ones. 

The one I found most useful is the type he called the superleggera. I knew the term was "eye-tie" for super light weight and that Ducati and Aston Martin had Superleggera models but didn't realize it was the name for an actual construction method. With superleggera construction, the buck or form is also the supporting structure for the skin. The form is normally made out of small diameter (1/2"+/-) tubing. If more pieces are needed to define the shape during construction, additional wires or flats can be added and then cut off later. I think this is what I'll use when forming the rear of the jitney. I'll have to make the top or a hatch that will lift up in order to access the fuel cell and the battery. Seems like the superleggera technique would be a good way to go.

Thanksgiving went well for the Missus and I. This was the first Thanksgiving in nearly fifty years of marriage that we haven't celebrated the day with family and friends. Actually, as far as that goes, it's the first time in 70 years that either one of us haven't spent the day gathering with family. We had a little turkey I cooked in the crock pot along with a couple of side dishes and pie. Pretty quiet day and other than the Missus cooking a big meal, just about like every other day around here. Not a bad thing, however. When every day is like a holiday, life is pretty damn fine and you've got plenty to be thankful for, which we certainly do.

Stay safe and if you're able, you might want to consider making a donation to the local food pantry or the Salvation Army. There's a lot of hungry people out there and it's only going to get worse. 

No comments: