Sunday, May 14, 2023

Boxing News +

 


"So remember, brothers and sisters, to stand tall." Good advice in the 70's. Maybe even more so now. 


This is the scorecard from the fight I mentioned in my last post. I didn't see the fight but from what Coach Jen told me over the phone, The Indiana guy should have won the fight. My take on it was that it would have been a tie on the cards if his opponent won the first two rounds and our guy had a 10-8 third round. Jen said since they gave the other guy two standing eight counts, he should have won the round 10-7. However, in amateur boxing a 10-7 is very rare. If the boxer is taking that type of beating, the referee usually stops the fight. If it's a draw on all of the judges scorecards, the winner is decided by other means. In this case, three judges scored it a draw, one judge had a one point advantage for the other fighter, and the last judge had our guy winning by four points. That should have been enough for our guy to have won the bout. However, this tourney is also an Olympic qualifier, like the tourney in Detroit was. I suspect there is some type of international rule in play here. I ran across several things in Detroit that were new to me. This could just be one more, but I would like to have it explained to me.

And in other boxing news, the young man who beat our 156 pounder for the state championship, won the national title last evening. Congratulations!


The Big Leaf magnolia tree is blooming now. The blossom in the photo is close to five inches long. When they open up, they are quite lovely. The leaves are usually 18"-24" long - very exotic looking tree for here in the mid-west.

The guy from the upholstery shop south of me stopped by when I was coming home from my bike ride Friday evening. He's got an old Sportster that he took the cam cover off, the cams came with it and he's not sure how to get things back together properly. I did all that when I put my Sportster project back together a couple of years ago, but I had a factory manual at my disposal for reference. I think the manual went with the bike when I sold it. If I can locate a manual, I'll give him a hand getting it back together. He's not sure what he wants to do with the bike, keep it or sell it. I wouldn't mind having it. It's an electric start model, which would be much better for both my knee and my heart. I should have just kept the other one.

No comments: