Friday, May 5, 2023

Planting Time

 


Beautiful day yesterday. The farmer showed up about 6:00 and dropped off the tractor and planter, so he'll be planting here today or tomorrow. I talked to him briefly when he was here, but I didn't ask him if he was planting corn or beans. I'm assuming it's corn again. I don't know how many years you can go with continuous corn. Got to be a reason they call it continuous corn, I would guess.


Daikon radish. I should have put a yardstick or something next to it when I took the photo to judge the size. It's about 10" long and 3-1/2" in diameter. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I've been making soup with all the root veggies from the CSA. I can make a tasty soup but I need to broaden my horizon a bit and learn to make more stir fries and baked dishes. The rhubarb is about right for picking, so I'll make my annual loaves of rhubarb bread. So I do actually bake a few things, but they're mostly desserts. But as we all know, man does not live by veggies alone.


Surly was here the other day and told me about this hand cleaner. According to the label it takes care of your typical grease and grime, as well as printer's ink and fish odor. It's got lanolin in it but it still dried my skin out when I tried it out yesterday - took the cutting oil and gunk off my hands nicely, though. Made in America. Available at O'Reilly Auto Parts.


I finished the stand-off for the choke cable. Looks like it should work OK. I still need to finish the hook-up for the throttle cable. I've got a couple of ideas I've been mulling. Maybe start on one of them today. 

No comments: