Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Vise/Vice

 


Surly's vise



Shop Teacher Bob's vice (actually one of several)

Surly picked up a small milling machine and the vise came with it. Apparently, the previous owner was unclear on the concept of parallels and drilled a ton of holes in the base. Now it's time to call in the brazier, as opposed to a brassiere. I'll get it welded up and then he can machine it.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this Sportster. There's not a lot of work to do on it. I priced out the new parts and it totaled up to about $150.00. He was in the middle of cleaning and polishing when he bailed out. He was redoing the seat, but in brown leather. I can't do brown, but rather than fiddling with that seat, I've got one from my other Sportster that will fit on the bike and be much more to my liking. I was going to put it on a Sprint, but maybe I'll have him redo one of the old seats instead. Clean title and less than 5,000 miles on the clock. As my old pal Joey used to say when asked why he would want something - pride of ownership.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Not that it matters, but I bought that vise at a garage sale. The mill had never been turned on until I plugged it in the other day. And I'm the third owner.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

very nice bike for such great price. I love it. park it on display in a shop area and gaze upon it while eating a foot long chili dog in those wax paper sleeves in a cardboard tray. then move it over to a different angle and sit down and gaze some more while smoking a pipe. it's only going to gain in real value. transportation as decoration. it will bring happiness and joy forever. more pics of it soon please.