Thursday, May 4, 2023

Little Bit Here, Little Bit There

 


The grandson put the third layer on his 7018 practice plate. Looks pretty good, except for the last bead or two. Nice and smooth for having two layers underneath it - no visible slag inclusions or porosity, and the beads all have a nice overlap. Probably wouldn't get any complaints from a machinist if he had to take a cut across it to get it to size.


The choke cable and bushings came in. However, the bushing needed the OD turned down a couple of thousands in order to have a light press fit into the linkage arm and spacer.


I've got some aircraft bolts I picked up at an EAA show years ago, some of which have the shank a couple of thousands over the nominal 3/16". I chucked one of those up in my drill motor for a mandrel and touched up the OD on the bushing with a file.


Not too much more left to take care of - shorten up and thread the rod and make the yoke for the throttle cable. I'm going to need a return spring also. The choke cable will be cut to length when I get the dash installed. I've got a piece cut out for a stand-off that will bolt to one of the manifold bolts that will keep the choke cable in place.

I'm hoping to get some more done on the car this week. I made up a to-do list, so I'll keep working my way through the list. I'll be glad when the weather warms up. That'll make things better from every angle.

No comments: