Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Bicycling, Boxing & Country Music

 


Put some new handlebar tape on the old Raleigh. I like the look of it with the holes punched in it. I like the color and the padding, but the top layer is so stiff it won't conform to the curves on the bars without wrinkling. Not at all happy with that, so I'll have to get some new tape like I had on there before. 

If you look closely at the photo, you can see the odometer. I'm not on zero anymore. I'm planning on doing that 50 miler next month, so I'll be putting on the training miles. Need to do a couple more 20 mile rides in addition to my daily 8-10 mile rides.

I was shopping for tires for the Sportster but wasn't able to find what I was looking for. There are several vintage patterns out there but the size I was looking for was out of stock. I checked four different cycle parts suppliers and it was the same story at all of them. I did find a few that would be serviceable so I'm going to look again and get something ordered. 

It was hot again the last few days - temps once again in the nineties. Hot enough that I exercise my right as a retired guy to stay indoors for the better part of the day. I've got plenty of things that need to be done, but nothing that can't be put on hold for a couple of days.

The Binge channel had a show on tonight nothing like their usual programming. Usually it's older shows like Hunter and Renegade but tonight it was live boxing and country music. The show started with a country singer performing a few songs and then three fights. Intermission was a few more songs and then the rest of the card. I don't know who the singer was but he wasn't bad. The back-up band was really good, but you would expect that in Nashville. One of the first bouts featured a heavyweight fighter, Francois Russell, from my old hometown. He faced off against a young up and comer. The young guy took him out in the third round with a big body shot. Russell took a knee and made no effort to get up. I looked up his record and after tonight he's now 3 and 40, so it's pretty obvious the young guy's team was looking to pad the kid's record without any risk. 

Different type of programming than what you usually see on television. They had a few problems during the production, but if they do it again, I'll be tuning in.

No comments: