Friday, September 1, 2023

It's a Curse

 


I went to pick up my veggies from the CSA yesterday and the owner flagged me down about a welding job. Seems they overloaded their cart and broke the steering linkage. He used to take his welding projects to a neighbor, but the guy passed away during covid a year or so ago. Looks like I'm now the regular welder. Not unusual for retired craftspeople to be sought out for doing little jobs. However, one of the best ones was the phone call I got the other night. 

I was giving Surly and the grandson a tour around the college the other night to introduce the grandson to some of the principals in the Weld Shop and show him the facility. When I got home, the Missus said I had gotten a phone call from the guy who's the Weld Shop lab tech in the mornings. Seems he has an aluminum framed bicycle that needs to be welded and wanted to know if I could take care of it for him. Seems pretty funny that a guy working in the weld shop needs an "outsider" to do his welding. I think the problem is that he's been a real pain in the ass to most of the instructors, so this is their chance to even the score. One of the instructors has been making a living TIG welding exotic metals, so I'm sure welding the bike wouldn't be a problem for him. Anyway, I'll pick it up next week some time and fix it here at the shack.


I bought a flag pole and mounting bracket for the garage barn. It's Chinese naturally but the flag is American made. The flag pole kit was only about $16.00 - stainless steel, powder coated and the flag mounts have ball bearing swivels to keep the flag from twisting up around the pole. I have mixed feelings about flying Old Glory in this day and age but I'm still hoping for a turn-around.



No comments: