Monday, September 18, 2023

Constitution Day

 Happy belated Constitution Day

As Ron Paul explains above, this is how things are supposed to be, not the screwed up mess we find ourselves in now. Hillsdale College offers a free course - Constitution 101 - if you wish to learn more. I've never taken it, but I really should. I do have the free copy of the Constitution they send out and their bumper sticker about loving the Constitution. The federal government ignoring the Bill of Rights is what concerns me the most. The first and second amendments are the ones that get the most discussion, but the 10th was designed to prevent many of the things Mr. Paul cited above. Most of the power is to remain with the states, not the federal government.


I don't classify myself as a conspiracy theorist, I'm more of the paranoid type. But that doesn't rule out being bat-shit crazy I suppose. 


I spent Constitution Day morning doing a 5K. They dropped the racewalk class this year, so I was contemplating doing a little running. I tried running a bit the other morning. I wore my "girdle" and I had a little chest pain later on in the day, but nothing serious. However, when it was time to line up for the race, I saw the 84 year old guy getting ready to toe the line. He beat me last year and I didn't know if he would show up this year, both because of his age, and the fact there was no racewalk class. He got a jump on me at the start but I closed to within a few feet of him at about the half way point. I think he got tired of hearing my footsteps and tried picking up the pace, but it looked like he developed a stitch in his side because he was holding on to his side. At that point, since we are in different age divisions, I could have passed him by running easily enough, but I didn't want to try and overtake him by walking. I've got a lot of respect for the old dude. Actually, he probably would've beat me anyway. He's a competitor. However, if I had picked it up a little I would have placed third in my age bracket and they were giving awards to the top three finishers. I got beat by six seconds. Coach Jen did place third in her age group. 

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

there is not such thing as a "bat shit crazy paranoid tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist".

Surly said...

Nice job on an another award. I'd like to place my order for a hand hammered aluminum tricorn in 7 9/16"