Saturday, February 12, 2022

Convoy & Car

 


My buddy Kevin and I did a half marathon a few years back that started in Detroit, ran into Canada over the Ambassador Bridge and then finished up on the 50 yard line at Ford Field after running through the tunnel under the river. I read the other day that due to the back log at the ports in LA and Long Beach, shipping companies started diverting to Canadian ports. At least at the present time, probably not going to help the shipping situation much. Looks like the American truckers have decided to do a couple of strategic blockades as well. Things will be getting real interesting, real quick when that happens. 


Meanwhile back at the ranch, I mounted up the fuse panel on the jitney. I had to add a piece of tubing to the framework for the dash hood and two tabs with tapped holes. The four holes in the panel are countersunk for flat head screws, meaning you don't have much leeway for your alignment. That's not much of an issue when the piece you're mounting is metal - bolt it to the tabs and then tack it in place. It's a little trickier when the part is plastic. Tack one of the tabs in place, bolt up the part, mark the location of the other tab, unbolt the part, put the second tab where it should go, clamp it somehow, tack it, and then hope the bolts line up.

The stud sticking through the tubing is for grounding the panel.


I started seriously thinking about getting the steering hooked up. I need to engineer the adjustable idler gear for the chain drive yet, but everything else should be pretty straight forward.


I bought a pair of reading glasses right after my cataract surgery. I fell asleep with them on and found them broken the next morning. I glued them back together and I've been using them when I weld. They broke again the other day so I reglued the break and added a bridge over the break with a piece of aluminum MIG wire. If that doesn't hold up I'll just have to break down and buy another pair at the Dollar Store. Probably should just go now before they too are no longer in stock.

The weather was warm yesterday but I didn't do much in the shop. Cold weather blew in so I probably won't get much done the next couple of days either. I do want to take the opportunity to do some serious thinking on hooking up the jitney steering and do some more reading. 

No comments: