Friday, February 11, 2022

Moving Forward


I bought myself a new dial indicator. I probably should have bought two and another Mighty-Mag to go with it. My old indicator hit the floor and bent the stem - not bad but just enough that it can be pushed in but it won't return on its own.

The pin on the far right in the photo is for my little Hossfeld knock-off bender. The original pin that goes in the swinging frame doesn't stick up as high as the other two pins. Sometimes it works better bending something on top of the bender rather than putting the piece inside. Now the center pivot pin and the two moveable pins are all at the same height. I'm not going to make a lifting handle for it - they just get in the way when bending pieces on top.


Surly sent me this a few days ago. That's what I'm looking to do on the jitney. I want mine to be on the inside of the firewall and I want to make the idler adjustable.


I've got all the parts I need other than the 40 series chain. Not pictured is the universal joint. It's a lot heavier than the one in the photo above but I'll never have to worry about it breaking. It requires the end of the shafts to have a flat milled on both sides and a dimple milled in the side of the shaft to allow the pinch bolt to slide through. I got that taken care of after taking the photo.


I unpacked the brake parts and I think I've got that figured out. The pedal assembly will require some modification but nothing too difficult. I'm going to get the steering shaft in place first to avoid any interference with that. 

I've still got a bit over 200 days to get this project to move under its own power. Looks like I've got a good chance of making it.

 

No comments: