Monday, February 21, 2022

Shafted

 


Fairly busy day yesterday. I plowed the drifts from the lane, cut the steering shaft to length and cut the keyway. Went walkies after that. The temperature warmed up nicely and the sun was out, but it was still windy. We were planning on walking the rail trail but it was closed, so we walked around town. Don't know our mileage but best guess was at least three.


When I came home it was still warm and daylight, so I went back out to the shop. I got my layout on the plate for the idler sprocket and then started on the shaft for it. I didn't have a 5/8-18 nut so I'll have to run to the hardware store and pick one up before I can finish threading the shaft. I need a couple other things as well. Glad there's a well equipped hardware store only about ten minutes away. They're not cheap but neither is driving all over Hell's Half Acre.

From Here

And in keeping with the spirit of the times, a reminder to stock up on all your supplies. I read that the police in Canada were firing tear gas and rubber bullets at those nice folks peacefully assembled in the streets of Ottawa. I'm not all that familiar with the system of government up there, but if it's any sort of representative democracy, maybe they should have listened to the truckers and actually represented the people rather than sending in the goon squad. Of course, we don't really have representation at the national level either. If we did, we wouldn't have all the rules and regulations, or having to pay a third of our income in tribute every year. I have a feeling things might change, however. Don't know how much or how soon, but hopefully it'll get better before too much longer. Of course, it might not ever get better, just different.


No comments: