Thursday, May 18, 2023

Flora & Fauna

 


It's that time of year again. Haven't had the pleasure of a dead skunk in the middle of the road but several racoons and 'possums. I saw a wild turkey and a peacock on the hoof up the road about a mile from the shack the other day. I had to slow the truck down for a momma duck and her brood while they were crossing the road, also. Springtime in the country, always interesting.


Here's the magnolia blossom I posted the other day after it opened up. I really like this tree. 


The lilacs are blooming and quite fragrant.


Lilies of the valley are blooming.


I'm not sure what this one is. It just started growing by the corner of the garage. It's underneath where there's usually a hanging basket of some sort. I think it's a volunteer from one of the baskets - pretty blue flowers just the same.


I did a little figuring while the grandson was welding the other afternoon to come up with a support leg for the window air conditioner. Pretty simple solution - a couple of pieces of telescoping tubing, a piece of angle and a bit of flat bar for the foot. The beauty of this project is that other than the piece for the foot, I didn't even have to cut the other pieces. Everything on the project, including the 2x4 that goes in the window, was made from scrap I had laying around. I'll get it primed and painted and then I'll be ready to get the AC unit in the window before it gets too hot.

I checked out the Sportster at the upholstery shop the other day. It needs some parts and some overall TLC, but it wouldn't take much to get put back together and running. He rode it by the shack last summer before he took it apart. Sounded good at the time. He said he'd entertain an offer from me to buy it or give him a rough estimate on getting it back together. I'd like to have it but I don't need another project. Actually, even if it didn't need any work, I don't need another bike. Especially since I've got a couple more coming my way in July. I'm going to mull it over for a couple of days and then go see him. 


No comments: