Sunday, May 21, 2023

Yard Work

Coach Jen and her hubby booked a vacation to Pennsylvania hoping that their son would be in the Nationals again this year. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out, but they made it to the Rocky statue while out that way. Pretty good advice on the plaque.

Likewise, good advice from Mike Tyson: 'People will laugh at you for having to start over. Meanwhile, they haven't even started.'

Don't know that I ever considered either one of those guys a great philosopher, but you can always learn something from a champion, whether that's an actual one or the Hollywood version.

                                                        ----------------------------------------------

Saturday started out chilly and breezy, but I got out on the bike just the same - put in 12 miles. Nothing worth bragging about, but there's a 20-mile ride in a couple of weeks I want to do, so I need to start building up my mileage base. The boxing group is resuming our Sunday walks/hikes starting today - should get in three or four miles. I saw a 5K being scheduled that you get your choice of running or doing it as a ruck march . It's a little ways off and it's on "fast time", as we say here in Indiana, but it starts at 10:00 local which is 9:00 my time, meaning I wouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make the start. Just have to get there with 22 pounds in my ruck. Thinking seriously about doing that one.


I planted a few more things the last few days, both garden plants and ornamentals. Some of the seeds I planted were old, so not sure they're going to germinate. Not a problem, I'm going to order a few more perennials so I don't have to replant things every spring and I'll have flowers for the whole growing season.


The iris are starting to bloom now. There are a few neglected peonies that I hope will bloom yet. There wasn't a single flower or fruit tree on the place when I moved in here 25 years ago. I've about got things as I want them finally. Now I just need to do a better job on the weeding and pruning. I'm making a good start on it this year, though.

I'm looking at a bit over 5 months of good weather ahead. Need to find a healthy balance of exercise, shop work, chores and relaxation. I've never been very good at that but at least I'm starting the season out full of piss and vinegar. Now I just have to see how long it lasts.


No comments: