Monday, May 1, 2023

Sunday Weather


Felt pretty good yesterday when I rolled out of bed - a little stiff but no chest pain what-so-ever. I felt good enough I actually could run the bases. Of course, I'd have to put my corset on first. There's a 5 mile trail run at one of the county parks this summer. I might try training for that, as long as I can continue running without the chest pain showing up a couple of hours later. I don't care anything about my time, I'd just like to be able to run 5 miles again before I die. I'm still in shock that I could run. Also, instead of wasting time and money on the doctors, I should have tried binding my chest up several years ago.


Photo of my asparagus patch. Yep, that's it. One measly stalk. I figured it was time for the asparagus to be poking their little heads out, so I raked some leaves out of the row and dug up some weeds, but no asparagus. There have been some moles digging around out there, so I'm wondering if they didn't eat it over the winter. Not much else I can think of.


Redbud photo taken from the running lawn mower with a bit of breeze to help blur the branch in the foreground. It's been a great year for all of the trees flowering. All the magnolias, with one exception since it's a late bloomer, and the fruit trees have been beautiful, in spite of the crazy weather we've been having. Saturday morning was a great day for the 5K, the afternoon not so much. Yesterday morning was bright and sunny and then it turned chilly, the wind picked up and there was a light rain on and off the remainder of the day. The forecast is calling for rain the next two days and the daytime temps won't get up into the sixties until Thursday.


I remade the bar and spacer for the throttle linkage. I couldn't find a 3/16 ID flange bearing locally, but I did find a bag of three on Amazon. I'm relatively certain I'll never need the other two, since I've never needed even one up to this point in my life, but one never knows, does one. Next up is to make the piece that fastens to the linkage plate for the end of the throttle cable. I'm thinking something like is used for a drum brake on the front of a motorcycle. In fact, I might have something like that laying around.

As a side note, if you recall from the previous post, I'm having trouble with my email account. I still can't log on but since I have two accounts with different carriers, I figured out how to get the pictures from my camera to the computer with my other account. A little less convenient, but that's technology for you. It's also why I don't wish to get totally dependent on it - one of the reasons I'm expanding the garden this year. There's a lot to be said for self-reliance, with or without asparagus or email.

3 comments:

Surly said...

I had forgotten that you were running the Hub run. I was in town to go to the car show. Total brain fart, I would have come and cheered you on.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Not a problem. They didn't have a race-walking class so I was just out for the exercise and to try running with my "corset" on. I finished 536 out of 704. You'd have been standing around for 45 minutes. There's a 5 miler at Stoney Run July 2nd. I'm going to see if I can keep running and try that one. I don't know if the Buckley run is still going on but that was always a 5 miler in addition to the race walk. Jen and I are planning on a few runs and some 40-60 mile bike rides. I'm thinking the times we're living in just might require us to be in shape.

Surly said...

Copy. I may come down tonight. I need to straighten a motorcycle part. Not sure, don't count on me.