Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Machining 101

 


The weekend didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped. The race on Sunday in Terre Haute was rained out, so not only did we not get to see champ cars on the 1/2 mile dirt track, we didn't get to stop at our favorite restaurant for pie, either. It's a long haul to Terre Haute but it's my favorite event when the champ cars or sprint cars run. 

However, the weather around here on Sunday was nice. Actually, it was damn near hot. I got out on the bike and put in 10 miles early on before I found out the race was cancelled and then went outside to do some yard work. Actually worked up a sweat pulling weeds and transplanting some day lilies along the front of the chicken coop. I decided to get out of the sun after finishing up that job - didn't want to get sunburned since that was the first day I had a short sleeve shirt on since October. 

While I need to do a couple more things on the jitney before finalizing the throttle hook-up, I decided the best way to go about it is a bulkhead fitting through the firewall. The fitting will hold the outer cable in place and allow me to adjust the length of the inner cable. That's the piece in the photo above. Basically, it's the same as the brake cable fittings on the Harley Sprints. I've probably got one or two of them around here but I wanted one that wasn't rusty and would look good coming through the aluminum firewall. This one's made out of "aircraft grade" aluminum. The application didn't really call for that, but since I've got a couple of sticks of it, seemed like a logical choice. Also, the fitting is threaded 5/16 - 18, rather than the 8mm ones on the Sprint cables. A 1930s style track racer wouldn't have metric threaded parts.

Fun little part to make - required a little thinking on the design end and on the sequence of operations. Not much to it other than that.  

No comments: