Sunday, November 5, 2023

Jammin', Wrenchin' & Cookin'


Jammin' in the shop yesterday - moved a few things around so I could pull the front wheel off the Sportster. I've got a stout screw-eye in the beam separating the front and back of the shop. I installed it originally to hang a heavy bag from and since I tend to always go overboard a bit on most of my engineering, I figured if it would hold an 80 pound heavy bag bouncing up and down, it would hold the front end of the bike. A couple of soft ties and a come-along and up it came. Since it will be hanging for a few days, I put a pipe across the bottom of the forks supported by jack stands, just to be on the safe side.


Easy enough to get the wheel off - shouldn't take too long to clean it up. The brake rotor could use a little clean up but I don't think it's feasible to get it machined. There are several types of rotors available - different hole patterns and materials. As long as I'm in this deep, I'm giving it serious consideration.


Casting number on the wheel hub. It's an old bike but not that old. Revolutionary War Commemorative model maybe?

About the time I was washing up, Surly and a few of his buddies stopped by on their bikes on their way home after enjoying at least one last ride for the season. I should have gotten a photo of the bikes - nice looking machines. Glad they stopped by. Good people all of them.


Some of the tomatoes I salvaged from the frost killed plant. These were buried in the foliage so they weren't affected by the frost. I only got a few that ripened up this summer. Not sure why, the plant had all kinds of growth and several more green ones on it. The ones that ripened up made a beautiful slicer - lots of meat inside, very little water.


And they make really tasty fried green tomatoes. There are lots of recipes for these things but these are about as simple as it comes. Dip them in an egg and milk mixture, dredge them in a corn meal - flour mixture with a little black pepper, and fry them up. Down south they'd fry them in bacon grease, but as a consideration to my arteries, I used vegetable oil. A little dash of Frank's Red Hot, "I put that sh*t on everything" sauce, and yum, yum. 

No comments: