Friday, November 17, 2023

Brake & Light

 


I took the front caliper apart to get it cleaned up prior to replacing the pads. If you look closely, you can see a couple of grooves in the one pad. I'm not real sure how those got in there. There's nothing on the rotor that would do that, as far as I can tell. The other pad had about half of it covered in grease, as were the rest of the caliper parts and the fork leg. It's hard to imagine how this thing could have been so screwed up with less than 5,000 miles on the clock. Regardless, I need to get the front wheel back underneath it so I can close off the front part of the shop so I can heat the space. It's getting colder and my old bones and fingers don't care for working in the cold.


I got the outside light installed on the south wall of the shop Wednesday. I still need to run the wiring on the inside but I can do that most anytime, regardless of the weather. 

I seem to have caught a cold or something - all the classic symptoms. I don't actually feel all that bad but my chest is sore from all the coughing. It's slowing me down a bit but other than getting the front wheel back on the Sportster, I don't have anything pressing going on.

3 comments:

Surly said...

If you replace the pads...I think they are riveted on. Also - check your manual regarding brake fluid. My bike and all the new HD's use DOT5 fluid. Not sure if Ironheads did. I've got some if you want it. More than enough for your system.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've got new pads. Dot 5 is called for on the brake fluid. http://www.classic-motorcycle-build.com/rebuilding-a-sportster-caliper.html

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I like yer fancy schmancy door.