Sunday, November 26, 2023

Stoicism

 Epictetus was telling his students that there can be no such thing as being the "victim" of another. You can only be a "victim" of yourself. It's all in how you discipline your mind. Who is your master? "He who has authority over any of the things on which you have set your heart. ...What is the result at which all virtue aims? Serenity. ...Show me a man who though sick is happy, who though in danger is happy, who though in prison is happy, and I'II show you a Stoic."


I just finished reading this one. I'm looking for some help dealing with all the craziness going on in the world. The Stoic philosophy looks like it could be helpful. Of course, reading about it and implementing it are two totally different things. It's going to take some work to "get my mind right". 


I bailed out on the 5K Saturday morning - still fighting my cold and it was cold. It was only about 32 degrees at starting time and I saw no reason to suffer through the cold while hacking and coughing.


Back at the AMA Museum, a Ducati 900 SS. This one ranks right up there with a Jaguar XKE on my personal wish list. Probably should just finish up the Sportster and count my blessings.


Husky 400, but not just any Husky 400. This is the one Malcolm Smith rode in the movie On Any Sunday. I've got my Malcolm Smith signed autobiography that I haven't read yet. That's on the list for the winter.


The Triumph X75 Hurricane designed by Craig Vetter of Windjammer fairing fame. Vetter's an interesting guy. Besides the fairing business he was involved in a high mileage contest years ago. He put on a presentation at Mid-Ohio years ago that Brother Johnny and I attended. I talked to him after the presentation and explained that my high school class was involved in an annual high mileage contest and he gave me his contact information. I was hoping for a bit more money from him for sponsorship, but he did send us a little something. 

It snowed most of the day today - not cold enough to accumulate but it put a lovely coating on the pine trees. I spent most of the day sitting on my ass reading and watching old cowboy movies. I'm going to have to start moving again or I'm going to get bedsores. If it's not too cold tomorrow, I'll try to get the brake pads fiddled so I can get the Sportster front wheel bolted back up. I need to get it out of the doorway so I can close the curtain and get some heat up front. It's winter for sure now. 

No comments: