Monday, November 20, 2023

Motorcycles

 Cuzzin Ricky and I took a road trip over the weekend. We went to Ohio on Sunday to pick up a family heirloom from my brother and met up with him, his wife and another cousin for a lunch date. We had a great get together - haven't seen my brother in quite some time. 

We met in Pickerington, Ohio, which is the home of the AMA and their Hall of Fame Museum. Rick and I spent Sunday night in Ohio and then went to the Museum Monday morning. They had a nice collection of motorcycles - many more MX bikes than I would have displayed  if I was in charge, but that's just a personal prejudice with me.


They had a little display on Evil Knievel including these x-rays of a few of the broken bones he managed to accumulate during his career. It wasn't an easy way to make a living, obviously.


Heavily modified Harley 165 that was a giant slayer. I've got one of these and it looks nothing like the bike in the photo. The head looks too big for the cylinder. They either cast a new head or shaved the fins off the barrel. It's been converted to a twin shock set-up also. The original suspension is a single spring mounted under the engine. Cool little bike.


Cal Rayborn's XR750. Rayborn was one of my motorcycle idols back in the day. He was one of the best road racers of all time in my book. Rayborn died in '73 in a crash when the Suzuki he was racing seized up. 

I'll post a few more photos from the museum in the next few days. 

No comments: