Monday, March 8, 2010
The First Side
No school today due to fog. We started with a two hour delay and then they called it off. Everything was pretty well burned off by 10:00, though, so I went over and worked on the Rickati tank a little bit. I got the first side roughed in pretty well and did a little more planishing on the top. The top is pretty well finished up other than some sanding. If you click on the photo to make it larger, you can see that I ran a body/vixen file over the side. That shows me the high spots and then I can raise the low spots with a hammer and dolly and keep working it in. The side has a little crown on it now and will have just a little more by the time I'm done bumping up the low spots. It should come out just like I want it to. The edges of the top piece show marks from the shrinker that will have to be worked out but I think I can do that after I weld the pieces together. When I get both sides on I'll put the filler neck in and make the bottom.
I found a blog where a guy made an aluminum fender for a bike. I want to make one at least for the rear of the bike. It actually doesn't look that hard. Of course, most people who are good at what they do make things look easy. I'm going to give it a try one way or the other. It's a good way to develop my skills and I want this bike to be really nice when I'm done.
Posted by Shop Teacher Bob at 1:49 PM