Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Today's the Day

There is a whole lot going on today. My school corporation, like every school corporation in Indiana, has had their funding cut. They offered an early retirement incentive and have already sent Reduction in Force (RIF) letters to quite a few people. This all had to be finished up by the end of the day yesterday. Hopefully, the number of retirees will be enough to prevent others from losing their jobs. While I don't agree in the slightest with the way our corporation has handled the short fall (in fact it was just plain cruel), the real culprit is down there in Indianapolis - the same guy who was going to straighten out the time zones in the state.

I'm in the twilight of my career, so the dumb decisions that politicians make will have little immediate effect on me, at least as far as my employment goes. But just once, I would like to see a common sense approach taken with school reform. The schools are required to perform high stakes testing and ensure everyone passes and they cut the state budget in Indiana for education by 300 million. Granted, there has to be some waste and some fluff in any corporation, whether a school or not, so it should be possible to trim a little fat. But to ask every school to decrease spending and increase test results, graduation rates, and attendance rates, offer foreign languages, art, band, tech classes, advanced placement classes, and athletics at the same time, is just not going to happen.

So in the future, before any of you knucklehead politicians decide to pass educational reform laws, I suggest you run it past me first. I'll consult a couple of my people and get right back to you. Before you call, though, just remember this: No unfunded mandates, and I expect you to be at least somewhat in touch with reality.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Looks like I am gonna have to fall back on boxing as a new profession then I guess? I like hitting guys way more than I like algebra anyways guess I drop the books and pick up the gloves hope you guys did well tonight!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

No reason you can't still do both. It's a shame with your injured wrist and school schedule you couldn't compete this year. I wouldn't give up the boxing or the algebra if I was you. The school thing will get resolved and, at least where I'm at, I feel confident the new principal will get things sorted out in the next couple of years. It should be a good time for me to step away and you to step in.