Sunday, March 16, 2014

HD



I found both of these at Harley Davidson Factory Photos by way of Gibs Art. The top photo was captioned Willie G. and his brother. I'm not an authority on Harley-Fergusons but I'm guessing those are something like '56 "K" models that the boys modified to their own tastes with some definitely non-standard parts.  The solo saddle and "P" pad,  the single pipe per cylinder with shorty mufflers. That's pretty much the look Surly is shooting for. And what the hell, if it's good enough for Willie G., should be good enough for anybody. 

The bottom photo as you can tell is a '63 Pacer, the second motorcycle I ever owned. The first was a Honda Sport 50 of the same vintage. The Honda's long gone but the little Harley is still here. It'll end up with one of the grandsons one of these days. Obviously the design department incorporated the Sportster styling in the little bikes as well. It's a fun little thing as long as you're not interested in going fast. 

I think I might have told this story before but the Pacer's been in the family since about 1967. My Old Man drug it home. It was locked up and missing the seat and tank. He told me if I could get it running we'd be partners on the deal. After getting the engine unstuck, putting some new rings and clutch plates in it and locating a seat and tank for it, it was all systems go. After moving up to a bigger bike, my brother John took over my half, with my youngest brother Jim doing the same later on. Surly learned to ride on the thing and I learned how to ride while standing on the saddle no handed, as well as sitting on it backwards. Floyd Clymer I wasn't. Never really mastered that trick but the bike had a chrome crash bar that stuck out on the sides so you could lay the bike down without hurting it. Which is a good thing because it's not that hard to ride while facing backward but it is hard to stop without falling off.

Good thing the weather is starting to warm up a little. I'm starting to get pretty far back down Memory Lane. Don't want to get stuck back there. The late '60's/early 70's wouldn't be a bad spot to be stuck. Unless you ended up in Vietnam, however, or weren't a fan of bell bottom pants and the whole Super Fly look. Me? I was digging the scene, brother. 

Peace Out!

No comments: