Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Vino


I bottled up my homemade wine over the weekend. The apple is really good, the peach not so much. I started with four one gallon jugs, two gallons of each. You lose some due to the settling of the dregs on the bottom of the gallon jug - probably close to a 1/2 quart out of each gallon. The book said to bottle it twice. The first time from the gallon jug to another gallon jug, make up the air space with sugar water, allow it to finish and then decant it into the smaller bottles. By the time I remembered to do that, it had already pretty much stopped fermenting, so I said the hell with it, I'll just take my chances and see what I get. In the case of the apple, good stuff. In the case of the peach, that probably would have helped it. Probably the best thing for it would be to distill it to save the alcohol and make an octane booster out of it. I'll definitely make some more apple cider and wine this year if I get apples. Maybe stick to just eating the peaches.

No comments: