Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pump She Said





and pump, I did. And I don't work there anymore. (Thanks Pop. I've been throwing that one around  for must be fifty years now.)

I bought a pitcher pump the other day to complete my back-up well system. We had a power outage that lasted four days a few years back and I was just about ready to tap the water heater when the power came back on. I new the storm was coming so I filled up the bath tub and I always keep a couple of days worth of drinking water on hand but there's a limit to the number of gallon jugs I want to keep on the basement shelves. I bought the pipe and well point to put down a well shortly after the storm, but like many other things around here, didn't quite get around to finishing the job up. 

I'm not too paranoid but I was a Boy Scout just long enough to learn the Be Prepared motto. I read in the paper about a power station in California being shot up. Seems you could shut down the whole grid for a year or more if you took out nine or ten strategic locations around the country. Rather a scary thought but my concern is still more with Mother Nature. Plus, one of these days I'll have to change the well point on the primary system and that'll leave me without water for a few days. Soon as things warm up, I'll be driving a well.



I also bought myself a new speed bag and double end bag. I'm no longer able to get to the boxing gym like I used to due to the work schedule, so I'm going to hang these out in the new barn. The double end bag will require nothing more than a screw eye on top and a lead anchor in the floor. I bought the type of anchor that will allow me to remove the screw eye so there won't be a tripping hazard when it's not in use. I'll have to make a platform for the speed bag but that's easy enough. Need to stay in shape to fight off the zombies just in case the grid does go down. Or at least stay in good enough shape to pump water.



And just a little bit more of "I Used to Work in Chicago" for your listening pleasure. Enjoy

3 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

In my parents basement, there's a capped vertical pipe. We didn't really know what it was for until that big ice storm. We put a pitcher pump on it and were all set. We went 5 days without power in that one.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

There's usually enough food in the cabinets or the freezer to last a week or more but it's real easy to run out of water when the electricity goes. Cats, dog, chickens, people - we all need it. Indoor plumbing with hot showers ranks right up there with move-able type and cordless drills on my list of the greatest inventions of all time.

Traveling Pirate said...

I've often thought that if/when I build a house, I better put a pipe like that in the basement.