Thursday, August 7, 2014

Progress In The Garden, In The Shop Not So Much


Picked a couple of interesting looking carrots yesterday. The one reminded me of the one-legged hooker Cuzzin Ricky and I saw a few years back. The one on the right and the one cross-ways in the photo seem to have grown through the weed control fabric in the bottom of the Square Foot Garden, hence the necked down portion up a bit from the lower end. The end came off the other one when I pulled it out. Starting to get tomatoes finally. I've been getting a few small ones - can't remember the name right now- that are shaped like a plum tomato but smaller. They're pretty tasty on a salad. I've got one of the Celebrity tomatoes that's almost ripe. We'll be drowning in maters like we are with cucumbers pretty soon.


Stuck the heads on the bike to try and make sense of the top engine mounting bracket/ignition switch/horn/coil mount conundrum. I've come to the conclusion I'm missing a couple of things and what I do have is some type of non-standard item. 


A quick internet search turned up this on EBay - supposed to be the stock set-up other than the fact that it's chrome plated.


This looks like what I've got - the coil bolts directly to the flange.

From what I remember and most all of the photos I've seen, the ignition switch is on a bracket on the left side of the bike. The bracket also has a hole in it to mount the choke cable. The horn mounts to a bracket that uses the same bolt as the ignition switch, both of which bolt to the top engine mount. In my case the top engine mount has that flange on the outside which currently has the coil mounted to it. Not sure where the horn lived, if it was even on the bike. I wouldn't want the coil that close to the heads and jugs, however. All that heat can't be good for things.


J&P has this coil bracket listed in their catalog for the 1965-78 Sportster. I've got nothing in the boxes that looks remotely like this and I've only got a couple of boxes with parts left in them to sort through. I've got nothing that looks like a horn bracket either. There's a boss on the downtubes right below the headstock that has a couple of threaded holes in it. It's on the outside of the frame loop rather than on the inside like you would expect if it was there for a coil mount. Be a good spot to bolt on some crash bars like they used to do - or some highway pegs if you're a yoga instructor.

The parts guys at the dealer have been pretty good to me, maybe they can show me what's called for in the parts book when I go in to pick up my ignition parts in a couple of days. Actually, with the flange on the engine mounting bracket, I could just make an aluminum plate that bolts on and drill it for the ignition switch, choke knob and horn. Maybe give it an engine turned finish so it's got some bling, plus that's the kind of crap I like to do any way. The J&P chrome coil bracket is only $13.99, so I could just buy that if I knew where the hell it went. Obviously a little more research is in order.

No comments: