Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ribbed Rubbers


Got the new footpeg and shift lever rubbers in the mail the other day. The rest of the cam shims I had ordered along with a new clutch cable also came. I've got a pkg of grease Zerks coming for the shifter shaft. Surprisingly there is no grease fitting on the kickstarter shaft. The bushing has a hole in it for grease but the cover the shaft passes through doesn't. The cover is held on by only two screws so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to pull it off occasionally and dab a little grease on it but you would think a kick start only machine would have a fitting. If I decide to add a fitting, I'll have to buy a tap but probably worth it in the long run.

I finished summer school the other night so I'm on vacation for about three weeks now. I hoping to have the Sportster  running by the time the Fall semester starts. I've got a bunch of things to do around the shack while I'm off but barring any unforeseen disasters, I think getting the bike running is do-able. Just keep peckin' away at it, little bit here, little bit there.

Have a good weekend.



5 comments:

Surly said...

I have the zerks.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Cool - thanks!

dorkpunch said...

I just stuck a set of those on a Trail 90 for a friend. What a pain in the behind. Arent rusty old bikes fun to work on?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Not too much rust on this one - one of the blessings of working on an old HD is that they always leaked oil all over everything preventing any rust.

Good to hear from you. Hadn't been much activity on your blog and I was wondering what you were up to. Building a baby size Flying Merkel it would appear.

dorkpunch said...

Yeah, I've been MIA. Its a good thing- small engine repair has been keeping me busy along with everything else that happens to a teacher in the summer- including 4 credits worth of classes, helping my wife paint and move into her new classroom, prepping our house to sell, etc etc. Glad to see your progress on the HD though!