Friday, April 3, 2015

Challenger


I went up north the other day to do a quick spin around Cabella's and stopped at the Chrysler dealer on the way home - had this one sitting out front. R/T model with the Shaker hood. I like the metallic blue paint. This dealership always has a few hot rod versions on the lot - like the old days at Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge. The more I look at the Challengers, the more I like them. I'll have to see what they've got in stock come September.

I e-mailed my buddy with the 68 Camaro that I was looking at a new Challenger and he sent me back this photo of what's left of Mr. Norm's. I remember he and I made the pilgrimage to there in '71.

Photo From Here


If you grew up in the Chicago-land area in the late 60's - early 70's, you knew about Mr. Norm's. WLS radio always had spots for Mr. Norm's - "soda pop's carbonated, carburetor's calibrated, dyno timed and analyzed." If you didn't dig Chryslers, you could always run across town to Nickey's, "with the backward K", Chevrolet. I'd say those were the glory days, but these new cars will out run the old ones, get better mileage, go 50,000 miles on a set of plugs, and go around corners. Of course they cost 10 times what they did back in the early 70's but a candy bar now is more than a nickel and a soda is more than a dime.

I buy myself a Challenger, I'll have to get a Mr. Norm tee shirt. Hell, maybe I should anyway. Just for old times sake.

No comments: