Monday, April 20, 2015

Patriots' Day

Photo From Here
Patriot's Day today. I was fortunate to be able to go out to where the revolution started a few years back - Lexington, Concord, Walden Pond, Emerson's house. Stood on the recreated bridge where the shot was fired that was heard 'round the world. Like most citizens of this country, my knowledge of the early days of America is a little weak. Wasn't all the school's fault, however. I was more interested in motorcycles and girls at the time than "ancient" history. In light of what is currently going on in the world and to be a better informed citizen, wouldn't hurt me to brush up a bit on my American history. I did do a little reading on the subject a few years back but didn't follow it up with anything. Time to pick it back up again.

Hillsdale College currently has available the Constitution Reader website that I'm going to be perusing as time allows. Also, the college is offering several online classes, a couple of which on the Constitution that should be mandatory for anyone wanting to hold a public office. Myself, I think the course American Heritage: From Colonial Settlement to the Reagan Revolution would be pretty interesting and serve me well. They also have a new course, A Proper Understanding of K-12 Education: Theory and Practice that I should probably find the time for. The course description in their latest news letter looks pretty interesting. There's no charge for the classes, by the way.

Remember the events of this day in 1775 and the great risks the Patriots/Minute Men took to break away from the king and form a new nation.

"The condition upon which God hath given man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt. - John Philpot Curran

PS: Looks like it's going to be lousy weather for the Boston Marathon today.


No comments: