Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Rest of the Story


I posted a photo of the front of this bike recently and mentioned I'd like to see the rest of it. Well, here it is. Surly found it and has a few more photos of it and the links at his place. There's an outfit that specializes in books on all forms of transportation. I should check them out one of these days and see what's available on these racers from the 70's and 80's. Put that on my Christmas list if they've got something good. 

Meanwhile, I had a busy day yesterday. Put in 10 miles on the bicycle, cut the grass in the back yard, and worked on a couple of projects.


I stretched a clutch arm for a Ducati narrow case motor. Not all that tough to do other than trying to keep everything in line. No two pieces are the same diameter and the top is supposed to have a little backward lean to it. Little tough to fixture.


I also turned the O.D. and squared up the ends on this piece of pipe. It started as a piece of 2" extra heavy wall. 2" pipe is actually 2-3/8" O.D. but I need 2" on the money for a weld tester I'm putting together at the college. This will be the bottom of the ram for the guided bend tests on 6" Sch. 80 pipe. I'll weld in a piece of 3/8" on the inside of the pipe to stiffen it up and then weld it to a piece of tubing or pipe. Then it will get welded on to a piece that slips over the ram on the big hydraulic press in the shop. I'll post some photos of the job after completion. 

I laid out the holes for the piers for the veranda/deck off the top of the new barn. I need to get those dug so I can pour them the same time I do the shop floor. While I was out there I checked on my hazelnut tree. It was loaded with nuts when I looked about a week ago but they weren't quite ready to pick. Something cleaned them all off the tree. I'm guessing it was a deer. Not a single nut left on the tree. 

Supposed to continue with the warm weather the next few days. I'll have to get up early to get the holes dug but then I can retire to the shop and get back on the 900 project. The wife is slowly getting her strength back. She's talking about a little get-away trip coming up soon. Good to have her back among the living.



No comments: