Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tin Knockin'


I've been cleaning up my workbench/welding booth the last few days. There have been some things around the sides of the booth for quite some time but things continued to move inward until there wasn't a lot of room left on the top of the bench. Since I need to do more of my welding at home now, I figured I should get things cleaned up before I burn the shop to the ground. I've still got a ways to go but I made the little sheet metal shelf in the photo to fasten on the outside wall of the booth to get some of the common things I use all the time out of the booth and off the bench next to it as well. Not much of a project, really. Just some scrap galvanized sheet bent up and riveted together. I did use my new brake to bend up the parts. I'm planning on doing some modification on the brake some day to make it more user friendly but it'll probably be like the tool rack that's on the other side of the new shelf. I made the rack years ago. Put it up yesterday while I was hanging the shelf.

While working on the shelf it occurred to me that if I was still at the high school, I would have made this on company time, in effect getting paid tp make it. But then I asked myself, when was the last time I welded up a student desk? It's been years! I'm thinking I got the best of that trade.

No comments: