Monday, February 19, 2018

Fixed



I got the garage door fixed. Menard's had the parts in stock - new spring and winder. Had a little trouble figuring out which spring to buy. The instruction book I had from the original installation said I need a green spring but the guy at Menard's said you can't go by that anymore. Instead of a green one, I got an orange one. Matched up by coil diameter and length so I got that and a new winder. Cost me about $70.00. Looking back, I should have just got a new spring from the jump and been done with it. Installation was easy enough, though, and it's working like it should. Plus the timing was right for the 11% rebate this week. 

Got quite a few things lined up for the next couple of weeks. Hope to spend some time in the shop, though. Maybe get some seeds going for the garden. I do have to read a few chapters in my textbook for school. We got a couple of gears made last week by the way. So things are progressing there. Anyway, lots going on, nothing real important in the big picture, so I'll just keep plugging away.

Have a good week.



2 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

I've got one door that needs a turn or two added to the springs. Been putting it off as it is my very end bay, and I use it for more long-term storage (i.e. the Wife & I's catch-all area). Strangely, my most used doors give the least trouble.

Anyway, did you wind the spring through trial and error, or is there a rough rule of thumb for winding, given the standing weight of the door?

Looking forward to warm weather this week in Ky. Getting some seeds potted for the wife's little greenhouse, and a truck load of goat poo for the garden. Also some shop cleanup, and fabricated some step bumper mounts for the pickup.

cheers...Rich

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The original instructions for the installation of the door gives a rough idea as to the number of turns. When I put the new one on I wound it up a little less than called for (eleven turns) and tried lifting the door by hand. Seemed to be about right so I hooked the opener back up to it and left it alone. Seems to be good now. I should have just bought a new spring when the original got damaged in the wind storm instead of trying to use my "super powers" of repair skills. I should know better by now.

Warm here today but started raining this afternoon like a monsoon. Calling for more of the same tonight and tomorrow as well. They're forecasting up to 4" but I would think the way it has been coming down that'll be a low number. I could do without the weather extremes but I'm afraid that's likely to become more of the norm.

If you're putting the bumper back on the truck, you should about have it licked.

Good to hear from you.