Monday, February 12, 2018

Gear Fix




These were both found at The Industrialist - nice photo blog of manufacturing and transportation subjects. It's hard to get good pictures of the electric arc welding process due to the brightness of the arc. You almost have to have something blocking the arc itself otherwise the only thing you see is the arc and everything else is underexposed. Someplace I've got a pretty decent shot of me welding at the last weld shop I worked at prior to starting my teaching career. I set the camera up on a tripod after everyone had left on a Saturday afternoon and used the self timer to capture a shot of me welding something on the bench. I'm planning on printing some old negatives from my Mom's collection one of these evenings soon. If I get a chance before hand, I'll see if I can dig out that negative and make a print.

I consulted with Surly and he agreed with my diagnosis about the gear cutting problem. He also offered a suggestion as to what we can do to make a gear using our limited equipment set-up. Always good to have a Journeyman Machinist on call. I've got an item I'd like to make for the little Harley motors. I need to have him take a look at the one I've got for a sample and see what he suggests. Step two would be to take it to school and see if we could make a few of them on the CNC machines.

The Missus came up with a bunch more family history stuff for her clan. Looks like I'm not done with that after all. More typing and research in the works but since I fixed the chair it's a lot more comfortable sitting and typing at least.

No comments: