Friday, February 16, 2018

Winter Time


I've been going through some of the photos of late - partly for the family history, partly because it needs to be done. This one was taken a few years back as you can see from the time stamp. Nothing much has changed around here in the intervening years, however. Same tractor, same pickup truck same operator in the same coveralls. The wife has a different rig from the one in the photo and it stays in the new barn instead of out in the weather. But otherwise, looks just like me plowing snow this past week. If I ever get a new truck, I'm planning on getting a snow blade for it. Realistically, however, as little as I use the old Allis, it'll probably be serviceable as long as I live here. I would like to have a bucket loader on the front end. It would help with snow removal, but more importantly, it would be able to lift things that I can't.

Since it warmed up a bit yesterday I went out to the shop to work on a couple of things. I made this little wooden piece for a buddy of mine. Fortunately I had a piece of hardwood in the kindling box, so all I had to do was rip it and then cut it to length, etc. You would think I've about got all the tools I need but I don't have a 3/8 countersink bit anymore. I've got a few others but I'll have to make a note of that and get another one.

Supposed to be warm again today and get some rain as well. That should get the rest of the snow off the roads at least. Of course, it'll freeze up again and create more pot holes. If you want to make millions, just figure out a way to pave the roads with a layer of blacktop impervious to water and you'll be set.

If you're putting together your calendar for the year, check out the link to The 520 Chain CafĂ©. He's got his annual list of events up for 2018 - mostly geared to cyclists but nothing wrong with that. There's a bike show in Indy this weekend I'm considering, since the snow scared me off of the big Chicago show. There's also a swap meet coming up soon in Lebanon. 

In addition to thinking motorcycles, I'm starting to think about the garden. It's about time to decide what I'm going to plant this summer and get some seeds started. The way things are going with the stock market and politics, might be a good idea to expand this season. Even if things stumble along like they have been, I'm sure the prices are going to continue to climb.  Never a bad idea to invest in some healthy veggies for yourself and your family. 

No comments: