Thursday, March 29, 2018

Bikes, Bikes, & More Bikes


Got just a little bit more done on the motorbike. I forgot that I had to modify the coaster brake lever to clear the new sprocket. It'll be easier with heat and I didn't want to drag the torch out, so I'll take it to work and do it there. I had to attend a meeting at the college the other day and then I worked in the lab on my CNC project. We had a bit of difficulty at first, but after I got it finished I didn't have time to pick up my fenders. I'll get them soon and get them installed. Not much left. I should have taken a photo of the CNC project and posted it. Maybe after I get it back from being graded.

Quickie fixture to machine the levers on my Sprint project. As long as I'm dragging parts to school, I'll take this up there as well and tack the little angles down onto the plate. I machined a bushing to go in the hole where the cable normally goes to keep it fastened down tight to the plate and I'll clamp the lever to the angles and I'll be able to mill some stock off where the pivot hole is at in order to fit in between the flanges that are on the handlebar. Should go quickly. Take a cut off both levers as shown in the photo and then flip them over and reposition to thin off the opposite side. I've got the part that needs machining running parallel with the edge of the plate so it should be easy enough to position it on the mill.

Surly came down yesterday and he used a couple of the tools to make a little headway on his Sportster project. We also talked over a few things concerning the bikes. The grandsons drug out the recumbent bike I made years ago and we found the back tire wasn't up to the job. Surly found another wheel out in the junk bike parts that should work. It was missing a tube but the tire is good, I had a tube in my stash, so I put that in the tire but decided to hold off on swapping it out on the bike. I've enough irons in the fire.

The weather's supposed to cool off again next week and we've got a bunch of rain on the way. I'll see if I can't force myself to get out in the shop and finish the motorbike and the Sprint levers in a timely fashion. I'm liking the look of the motorbike - anxious to see how the fenders are going to look on it. That might be all the incentive I need to get it buttoned up. 


No comments: